You cannot see, smell or taste radon; however, it may be a problem in your home or a property you are purchasing. Radon is a radioactive gas that comes from the natural breakdown of uranium that is found in nearly all soils. This gas moves through the earth and enters buildings through cracks and/or holes in foundations and floors and accumulates.How Radon Enters a Home

How Radon Enters a Home

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Surgeon General have identified radon gas as the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. The only way to determine if you are at risk is to perform testing. The EPA and Surgeon General recommend testing for all homes below the third floor.

The EPA further recommends that homes with high radon concentration be mitigated.


Air Quality/Mold Testing Service

Molds are microscopic fungi that can be found almost anywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Mold growth occurs mainly in warm, damp, and humid conditions. They reproduce by making spores that are released into the air to be transported to other places where they can germinate and grow. When mold is in an active growth phase, it releases gases into the air called Mold Volatile Organic Compounds (MVOCs). Not all of these gases can be detected by smell.

Molds can grow on wood and insulation, in carpet, and even behind walls where they can continue to grow undetected. When excessive moisture accumulates in the home, mold growth will often occur. This moisture build-up can stem from plumbing leaks, from condensation in air conditioning and heating systems, or from ground water penetration.

moldWhen mold is present in large quantities, it can present a health hazard, potentially causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems in people who have sensitivities to mold. Molds produce allergens that cause hay fever-type symptoms such as a runny nose, itchy eyes, sneezing, and skin rashes. These allergic reactions can happen immediately upon exposure, or they can be delayed. More severe reactions may occur in people who have mold allergies, and may include fever and shortness of breath. In addition, molds can trigger asthma attacks in people with asthma and who are allergic to mold. Some people with chronic lung illnesses can develop mold infections in their lungs with prolonged exposure to mold in the home.

InspectSure performs mold testing by collecting air samples, bulk samples, and/or swab samples. Samples are sent to the laboratory for analysis and reporting.


Water Quality Testing

Approximately 15 percent of Americans rely on their own private drinking water supply like a well or aquifer. If you have a private well, then water quality testing should be important to you and your family. Unlike public drinking water systems, private wells do not have experts regularly checking the water’s source and its quality before it is sent to the tap. A state certified water testing lab can analyze your well water for potentially harmful elements such as bacteria, pesticides, organic chemicals, heavy metals, and other elements.

drinking waterInspectSure water quality testing includes:

  • Full spectrum tests
  • Chemical, bacteria, & lead in water tests
  • FHA/VA water tests

Our services include collection the water samples as per the laboratory protocol at the time of the home inspection, delivering the samples to the lab in a timely manner, and forwarding test results to you via email as soon as available (typically 3 to 4 working days). And of course we will be available for any questions you may have about the water quality test results.


Lead Testing

Lead was used in paint products up until 1978. During our home inspection, if peeling paint is evident, and the home was built before 1978, we will recommend lead testing to determine if lead paint is present in the home.

Lead was also used in main water supply lines, which carry the potable drinking water to residents through this region. During our home or building inspections, our inspectors look for lead supply lines to protect our customers from the potential of drinking tap water that could cause lead poisoning.

peeling-paintLead is a powerful neurotoxin that interferes with the development and functioning of almost all body organs, particularly the kidneys, red blood cells, and central nervous system. In young children, lead retards the development of the central nervous system and brain.

High levels of lead exposure can result in coma, convulsions, and death. At low levels, lead can cause reduced IQ, reading and learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder and behavioral problems. As a result, childhood lead poisoning is associated with lower educational achievement, higher rates of high school drop-out and increased behavioral problems. In the long run, children who are lead poisoned may be less likely to become positive contributors to our communities and our economy.